Dr. Mark Allen, MD of Plano, TX utilizes the AMS medical devices to treat erectile dysfunction. The below information on the 3-Piece Inflatable Penile Prosthesis for erectile restoration is provided courtesy of American Medical Systems. For more information on AMS, visit www.americanmedicalsystems.com.
AMS 700™ Inflatable Penile Prosthesis
The AMS 700 Series is an advanced three-part inflatable prosthesis consisting of a reservoir implanted in the abdomen, a pump placed in the scrotum and a pair of cylinders inserted into the corpora cavernosa. It closely simulates the look and performance of a natural erection. The gold standard for innovative penile implant technology, the AMS 700 Series now features the new Tactile PumpTM, InhibiZoneTM Antibiotic Surface Treatment and Parylene, a wear-reducing micro coating.
AMS 700™ Inflatable Penile ProsthesisAdvantages:
- Has InhibiZone Antibiotic Surface Treatment, a proprietary combination of rifampin and minocycline
- Replicates the process and feel of a natural erection more closely than 1- or 2-piece implants
- Deflates softer and more flaccid than 1- or 2-piece styles of penile implants
- High degree of patient and partner satisfaction
- Easy to use
- Totally concealed
Patient Satisfaction Rate
- Some studies report 92% patient and 96% partner satisfaction rate¹
¹ Montorsi F, Rigatti P, Carmignani G, Corbu C, Campo B, Ordesi G, Breda G, Silvestre P, Giammusso B, Morgia G, Graziottin A. AMS three-piece inflatable implants for erectile dysfunction: a long-term multi-institutional study in 200 consecutive patients. Eur Urol Jan 2000 Jan v. 37(1)p. 50-5.
AMS 700™ Inflatable Penile Prosthesis Styles
The AMS 700 Series consists of three styles for three different patient types.
- 700CXTM—Controlled expansion cylinders allow for increased girth; can be used in all patient types that are able to receive a 3-piece prosthesis
- 700 UltrexTM—For the patient who wants expansion in girth and length; provides up to 20% cylinder elongation.
- 700 CXRTM—The narrowest proximal profile of any inflatable prosthesis; for scarred, fibrotic or stenotic patients
The AMS 700 Series prostheses are fluid-filled systems, each consisting of a pair of cylinders, an inflate/deflate pump and a reservoir. The components are connected by kink-resistant tubing.
The AMS 700 Series prostheses consist of these parts:
- Cylinders—Come in various lengths and diameters, depending on the model number. Rear-tip extenders can be placed over the solid rear tip of the cylinders to extend their lengths, for a customized fit.
- Reservoir—Silicone balloon for holding saline, and kink-resistant tubing that connects the reservoir to the pump. Two sizes are available: 65 mL and 100 mL.
- Pump—The AMS 700 CX, Ultrex and CXR cylinders use a standard-size pump consisting of a pump bulb (for inflation), a release valve (for deflation) and connecting tubes.
The AMS 700 Series now features the new Tactile PumpTM, InhibiZoneTM Antibiotic Surface Treatment and Parylene, a wear-reducing micro-coating.
- Tactile Pump—With its EZ grip surface, the Tactile Pump is designed to be easier to inflate and deflate than any inflatable penile prosthesis on the market today. Silicone ridges on the pump bulb are designed to minimize finger slippage during inflation; finger pads on the deflation block are designed to make it easier to locate and grasp the deflation portion of the pump. These enhancements make it easy for patients to learn and use the system. In a small clinical study, over 86.7% of patients learned in three minutes or less.¹ That can mean less frustration and greater patient satisfaction.1. Data accepted for publication. Delk, et al, “Early Experience with the American Medical Systems New Tactile Pump: Results of a Multi-Center Study.
- InhibiZone is a synergistic combination of Minocyline Hydrochloride and Rifampin impregnated into the external silicone surfaces of the implant, creating a zone of inhibition around the prosthesis. The antibiotics impregnated into the cylinders elute from the surface when exposed to a warm, moist environment.
- Parylene micro coating is a medical grade polymer applied to AMS 700 Series cylinder components. This unique coating is designed to enhance device longevity by reducing friction-based wear. In bench-testing, parylene coated cylinders endured up to five times as many cycles as uncoated cylinders.¹ This gives patients the security of an implant designed for long-lasting performance and wear.1. Data on file, American Medical Systems