da Vinci Robotic Surgery as a Prostate Cancer Treatment Option
da Vinci prostatectomy is the #1 prostate cancer treatment of localized prostate cancer in the United States, and is rapidly being chosen by more men in the Plano, Frisco and Dallas, Texas area, as well as their urologists, such as Dr. Mark Allen. da Vinci robotic surgery is a minimally invasive, robotic-assisted surgical procedure that removes the cancerous prostate gland and related structures.
Benefits of da Vinci Robotic Surgery
The potential benefits of da Vinci robotic surgery are:
- Effective cancer control: Studies have shown that experienced surgeons have achieved excellent results in removing prostate cancer without leaving cancer cells behind.
- Improved and early return of sexual function: Studies have shown that most patients have a rapid return of sexual function.
- Improved and early return of continence: Studies have shown that most patients have a rapid return of urinary continence.
- Improved results over traditional treatments: Patients may benefit from surgical treatment of localized prostate cancer, the established gold standard, as compared to radiation. Surgery has a higher and longer survival rate than radiation or other treatments. Surgery also has a lower risk of long-term complications than radiation treatments.
- Minimally invasive surgery: The da Vinci System enables surgeons to perform even the most complex and delicate procedures through very small incisions with unmatched precision.
Additional patient benefits of this prostate cancer treatment may include:
- Significantly less pain
- Less blood loss
- Less scarring
- Shorter recovery time
- A faster return to normal daily activities
With da Vinci robotic surgery, prostate surgery is performed through the smallest of incisions. A da Vinci prostatectomy provides the benefits of a definitive prostate cancer treatment but with the potential for significantly less pain, a shorter hospital stay, faster return to normal daily activities – as well as the potential for better clinical outcomes.
It is important to know that da Vinci robotic surgery does not place a robot at the controls; your surgeon is controlling every aspect of the surgery with the assistance of the da Vinci robotic platform.
See article Robotic Radical Prostate Surgery | What to Expect for an outline of steps from initial appointment to follow-up after robotic prostatectomy.
* Claim based on 2007 data on file.
For additional resources on da Vinci robotic surgery as your prostate cancer treatment, please contact the urology office of Dr. Mark Allen, located in the Plano, Frisco and Dallas, Texas communities.