da Vinci Prostatectomy, robotic prostate surgery, is the #1 choice for treatment of localized prostate cancer in the United States, and is rapidly being chosen by more men, as well as their urologists, worldwide. da Vinci Prostatectomy is a minimally invasive, robotic-assisted surgical procedure that removes the cancerous prostate gland and related structures.
Benefits of da Vinci Robotic Prostate Cancer Surgery
The potential benefits of the da Vinci Prostatectomy are:
- Effective Cancer Control: Studies have shown that experienced surgeons have achieved excellent results in removing prostate cancer without leaving cancer cells behind.
- Improved and Early Return of Sexual Function: Studies have shown that most patients have a rapid return of sexual function.
- Improved and Early Return of Continence: Studies have shown that most patients have a rapid return of urinary continence.
- Improved Results Over Traditional Treatments: Patients may benefit from surgical treatment of localized prostate cancer, the established gold standard, as compared to radiation. Surgery has a higher and longer survival rate than radiation or other treatments. Surgery also has a lower risk of long-term complications than radiation treatments.
- Minimally Invasive Surgery: The da Vinci System enables surgeons to perform even the most complex and delicate procedures through very small incisions with unmatched precision.
Additional patient benefits may include:
- Significantly less pain
- Less blood loss
- Less scarring
- Shorter recovery time
- A faster return to normal daily activities
With the da Vinci system, robotic prostate surgery is performed through the smallest of incisions. A da Vinci prostatectomy provides the benefits of a definitive treatment but with the potential for significantly less pain, a shorter hospital stay, faster returnto normal daily activities – as well as the potential for better clinical outcomes.
It is important to know that da Vinci Surgery does not place a robot at the controls; your surgeon is controlling every aspect of the surgery with the assistance of the da Vinci robotic platform.
See article Robotic Radical Prostate Surgery | What to Expect for an outline of steps from initial appointment to follow-up after robotic prostatectomy.
* Claim based on 2007 data on file.