AMS Penile Implants as an Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
Plano, Frisco and Dallas, Texas area urology specialist, Dr. Mark Allen uses AMS penile implants for erectile dysfunction treatment. The below information is courtesy of American Medical Systems. For more information, please visit www.americanmedicalsystems.com
Penile Implants-The Satisfying Solution
AMS has been a leading innovator in the field of erectile restoration for over three decades. Today, we offer the broadest line of penile implant options in the industry. From simple malleable implants to the most advanced three-piece inflatable devices, AMS sets the standard for innovation and ease of use.
Every AMS penile implant is engineered to provide a satisfying solution to erectile dysfunction (ED). More than 300,000 men have received an AMS implant as an erectile dysfunction treatment and studies show that over 90 percent are happy with the device.1,2,3,4.
1. Rajpurkar A, Dhabuwala CB. Comparison of satisfaction rates and erectile function in patients treated with sildenafil, intracavernous prostaglandin E1 and penile implant surgery for erectile dysfunction in urology practice. J Urol Jul 2003 v.170(1)p.159-63.
2. Kearse WS Jr, Sago AL, Peretsman SJ, Bolton JO, Holcomb RG, Reddy PK,
Bernhard PH, Eppel SM, Lewis JH, Gladshteyn M. Report of a multicenter clinical evaluation of the Dura-II penile prosthesis. J Urol May 1996 v. 155(5) p.1613-6.
3. Levine LA, Estrada CR, Morgentaler A. Mechanical reliability and safety of, and patient satisfaction with the Ambicor inflatable penile prosthesis: results of a 2 center study. J Urol Sep 2001 Sep v. 166(3)p.932-7.
4. Montorsi F, Rigatti P, Carmignani G, Corbu C, Campo B, Ordesi G, Breda G, Silvestre P, Giammusso B, Morgia G, Graziottin A. AMS three-piece inflatable implants for erectile dysfunction: a long-term multi-institutional study in 200 consecutive patients. Eur Urol Jan 2000 Jan v. 37(1)p. 50-5.
Benefits of a Penile Implant
- Can help you return to an active, satisfying sex life
- Offers a permanent, long-term solution to ED
- Provides the ability to have an erection anytime you choose
- Allows for greater spontaneity-have sex when the mood strikes
- Enables you to maintain an erection as long as you desire
- Eliminates the need for costly pills or shots
- Does not interfere with ejaculation or orgasm
Risks of a Penile Implant
- Requires surgery and healing period
- Eliminates the possibility of return of natural erections
- May require repeat surgery due to infections, erosions or mechanical problems with the device
There are several types of penile implants available from AMS as an erectile dysfunction treatment. Talk to Dr. Mark Allen about which one may be right for you.
The AMS Penile Implant Procedure
Placing a penile implant may be performed as an outpatient procedure, which generally lasts from 30 minutes to over an hour. The procedure is performed under local or general anesthesia.
Before the procedure, Dr. Allen will give you a thorough explanation of what will happen during your surgery and how to prepare for it.
Some studies show the following results for three-piece penile implants:
High Patient Satisfaction
* 86% say they would undergo the procedure again¹
* 88% would recommend the device to others¹
High Partner Satisfaction
* 96% partner satisfaction²
High Mechanical Reliability
* Engineered for long-term reliable operation¹
* Over 90% of patients report satisfactory prosthetic erections at three years³
1. Carson CC, Mulcahy JJ, Govier FE. Efficacy, safety and patient satisfaction outcomes of the AMS 700CX inflatable penile prosthesis: results of a long-term multicenter study. AMS 700CX Study Group. J Urol Aug2000 v. 164(2)p.376-80.
2. Montorsi F, Rigatti P, Carmignani G, Corbu C, Campo B, Ordesi G, Breda G, Silvestre P, Giammusso B, Morgia G, Graziottin A. AMS three-piece inflatable implants for erectile dysfunction: a long-term multi-institutional study in 200 consecutive patients. Eur Urol Jan 2000 Jan v. 37(1)p. 50-5.
3. Govier FE, Gibbons RP, Correa RJ, Pritchett TR, Kramer-Levien D. Mechanical reliability, surgical complications, and patient and partner satisfaction of the modern three-piece inflatable penile prosthesis. Urology Aug 1998 Aug v.52(2) p.282-6.
For additional information on the use of AMS penile implants as an erectile dysfunction treatment, please contact Dr. Mark Allen, urology specialist serving the communities of Plano, Frisco and Dallas, Texas.